Monday, February 23, 2009

Business as somewhat usual

Our family will be stationed in New Brunswick, Canada, for a year for my wife's job. For freelancing me, it'll be what I've been describing as business as somewhat usual. Through the magic of broadband internet, VOIP, phone number portability and USB laptop modems, I wouldn't even have to get new business cards, were it not for the recent business-name change. Keeping business as-is simply wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago, and even 10 years ago it would have presented serious challenges. For all the times that I whine about technology, I count my blessings here.

It will be a test, of sorts. The time zone, three or four hours earlier than Phoenix depending on the time of year, should be an advantage for deadline work. (And I can use the help.) Much of my work is virtual anyway--I see many of my clients only occasionally or rarely, and some not at all. I am going to redouble my efforts to stay in touch with my loyal longtimers (thanks in advance, guys!) and do what I can to create new opportunities. Ejecting from my Phoenix Habitrail should help to finish my book. It should be an interesting journey in every respect.

Today's proposed route will take me from Christopher Creek (22 mi. east of Payson) to Santa Rosa, New Mexico, or possible good ole Amarillo, Texas. Yee haw!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck in your travels and good wishes for your new adventures in Canada! I will look forward to reading your updates.
    Bonnie Mattick

    ReplyDelete